What is Automatic Writing for Channeling?
Automatic writing for channeling is the practice of writing words in a trance-like state that originate from a place outside of conscious awareness. You can channel written communication from higher self, Universe, or spirit. Spiritualists and psychologists often have differing beliefs about the origin of automatic writing, with some arguing that it is garnered from the unconscious mind, and others claiming that it originates from supernatural forces such as spirit guides and angels.
There are so many ways you can enjoy a direct connection with the Universe, meditate, pray, be in nature. All of these methods allow us to expand our consciousness and experience ourselves as souls in the human container (the meat suit). Yet one of the most interesting ways of making a direct connection is the practice of channeled writing: a scribe for the Universe. When you become a receiver, you can use the same consciousness that you use in meditation, pray or other states of deep expanded consciousness.
My personal belief and true feelings are that automatic writing is derived from the unconscious mind which is the connection to your Higher Self.
Anyone can develop this ability if you are committed, and for some, it will just happen naturally. Be respectful of spirit and your consciousness relationship.
Here are the steps I use to channeling using automatic writing:
Step 1: Ground yourself, and white light yourself before starting. I like to set in front of my writing space selenite, black tourmaline, and a few of my favorite crystals I channel best with when writing. I have those listed below along with an outline of why I like to work with them for this practice.
Step 2: Think of a question to ask and write it down. Think of a question that you want guidance about, the purpose of automatic writing is to access guidance from your soul, outside of conscious awareness. Maybe start with a question that has really pulled at your heart or eating you up inside. The more emotionally-charged the question is, the clearer your response will be. But do not allow the conscious mind to question the answers…just write!
Step 3: Relax your body and mind, and allow the writing to flow spontaneously and naturally. Relaxing your mind, and learning how to relax your mind is the most important part of automatic writing. Just let it happen, do not stop and think about what you are writing. Let spirit or higher self write through you. When your mind is still and empty of thoughts, writing spontaneously becomes easier.
Step 4: Become into a trance-like a state, as humans, we have the capacity to enter trance states very easily. For example, a trance state we often enter is when we are watching TV or getting lost in a book. Entering a trance state is very useful because it facilitates the spontaneous flow of information.
Step 5: Allow the flow of information, be unaware of what you’re writing. It’s very common during this step you may find yourself judging what you writing and try to analyze it. This is common if you find your mind getting involved, gently bring yourself back into a trance-like state. Again this will take practice.
I myself look away when I’m writing so that I’m not easily drawn into judging what I’m writing – experiment for yourself.
At a certain point, you’ll just sense that your automatic writing session is coming to an end. Somtimes, you may abruptly stop writing and no more information comes. Once you’ve stopped, it’s time to review what you’ve written. Try looking firstly for coherent sentences or keywords that may pop out. Sometimes you’ll also find patterns, and in some situations, even words from different languages.
Step 6: Once done clear your space, and clear your energy, I like to wave selenite wands around my space and body while reengaging the white light around myself. I repeat these words a few times as I do so – “I am purified by the white light”.
Automatic writing in practice is something that you’ll need to develop (unless you have a natural gift for it), and it will take time and commitment to develop it. You also might find, like many people, that the first time you try this practise it will go really well. But after that, you may find yourself struggling. This happens because when we try something new, our minds are often empty of expectation and belief. However, afterward, we begin to accumulate mental baggage which blocks the process of spontaneous revelation. Remember consciousness time does not exist, do not think about the process just let it happen.
Don’t worry if this happens, all you’ll need to know is how to empty the mind. Here is a simple way I empty the mind:
- Sit upright, on the floor or a chair, close your eyes and start focusing on your breath. Take a few breaths and follow your breath. Think of a few things that you’re grateful for and name them in your mind, then smile. As you continue to smile, follow your breath; inhale and exhale.
How to Know Whether You’re Really Channeling Your Soul
In my experience, I know I’m connecting with higher-self or spirit is when I enter a state of no-mind in which I am completely present, calm and at peace. Words from your higher-self or spirit will always sound and feel crystal clear. However, when writing becomes frantic and heavy, it is usually coming from the mental or emotional energy “my body (the meat suit).” Words look to be authoritative, clear, and wise are higher-self or spirit and if the words look closer to what my mind sounds like I know it was me not my higher-self or spirit.
I like to use crystals to channel, as I feel for myself it helps me to connect at a higher vibration; to learn to write with crystals check out the post “Writing Using Crystals”. Below are the crystals I most often like to use when I channel using automatic writing:
- Elephant Skin Jasper (aka Calligraphy Stone) is perfect as a meditation stone because it said that using them during your meditation will stimulate of your third eye and that may help you to access the Akashic records, and may also stimulate the gift of channeled writing. Although it is the apparent stone for writing, it is not usually used for casual writing. This stone is known to help in lucid, auto-writing that could help you reach your akashic records (which read into your past lives). But calligraphy script can help make your writing feel more lucid and open up your mind to inspiration.
- Agates come in a variety of colors with beautiful banding. They are known for helping balance yin/yang energy and are a calming and protective stone. Agate is also helpful in overcoming negative emotions by bringing love into the chakras. They are perfect of the writer who has a wandering mind. The stone is excellent for concentration and is thought to increase a person’s luck. Whether that is true or not, there is no denying that it is a beautiful stone that is popular for decoration.
- Clear Quartz can be useful for writers (especially if the writer needs to cleanse the space and/or clear the mind). Never underestimate the power of Clear Quartz! This crystal will bring you mental clarity, greater focus and help you retain information. Try a Quartz Crystal Sphere on your desk area. I also highly recommend a small raw or polished Clear Quartz Crystal Point for study purposes. You can wear it around your neck or carry it with you in your pocket.
Tip: Keep the same Quartz Crystal Point with you as you study. Then have it with you when you take exams or need to access the information.
- Carnelian is a stabilizing crystal, perfect for anchoring in the present. Get riled up with Carnelian, one of the best crystals for confidence, to elevate your creativity and make your message more memorable. Carnelian clarifies the voice, and it is an excellent stone for speakers, singers, writers, and teachers. Carnelian also helps release stress and trauma, so it is good for the writer’s block. Not only does is give you an immense boost of creative energy but it’s also soothing, so you won’t get anxiety while looking at your low word count.
- Carnelian can be a powerful imagination and creativity booster, which is great for breaking a creative block. In writing, it can help with your original decision making by inspiring perception and confidence. Writers are blessed and cursed with an overactive mind, and this can be overwhelming and undermine the writing process. Carnelian charges other crystals.
- Labrodite a stone of transformation, Labradorite is a useful companion through change, imparting strength and perseverance. It balances and protects the aura, raises consciousness and grounds spiritual energies. Excellent for strengthening intuition – promoting empath abilities. Use to awakens one’s “magical” abilities, ground spiritual energy, reveal the truth behind illusions, and strengthens self-trust.
Share this Post