Minerals are a solid inorganic substance of natural occurring substances that have crystalline structures. Most minerals occur naturally as crystals.
Crystals are a solid material comprised of ions, atoms and molecules that are arranged in a repeating pattern to become solid. There are four types of crystals, each type has a different type of connection, or bond, between its atoms. :
- Consist of atoms covalently bonded to their adjacent atoms such as diamonds and sand. A covalent bond is a chemical bond that involves the sharing of pairs of electrons between atoms.
- Consist of positive and negative ions arranged in a regular pattern, they conduct electricity in molten state and in the form of solution. An ionic crystal consists of ions bound together by electrostatic attraction.
- Consists of metal cations surrounded by delocalized valence electrons. Metallic crystals contain atoms with the same charge surrounded by a sea of electrons.
- Consist of covalently bonded molecules held together by intermolecular forces. Molecular solids are soft, often volatile, have low melting temperatures, and are electrical insulators. Quartz is said to have a macromolecular structure.
Rock or stone is a natural substance, a solid aggregate of one or more minerals or mineraloids. One of the main differences is that Stones are always hard while a Rock can be hard or soft. Both are formed from minerals.
A mineraloid is a mineral-like substance that does not demonstrate crystallinity. Mineraloids possess chemical compositions that vary beyond the generally accepted ranges for specific minerals. For example, obsidian is an amorphous glass and not a crystal.
Go to your crystal retailor, look around, see what you’re drawn to. You will have this urge to touch and hold them, your body will respond to a crystal either by sight or feeling, If you are looking at a group of crystals, the one that catches your attention is the right vibrational match for you - trust your gut. Don’t overthink it. And don’t worry about researching different crystals and their properties before choosing one. Look first and read later.
All crystals have energy fields that are unique and individual, like fingerprints, not one is the same. One may find this hard to believe, thinking it strange how a "rock" can have a personality. However, try and find any two crystal that is identical in their shape and texture. With the knowledge that no two crystals are alike, it is easy to appreciate that there is often more to a crystal than its appearance.
Take your time—and do not feel overwhelmed, there is lots of time to grow your collection, start by picking out one or two stones.
Incorporate the stones into your life for a week and notice what changes occur in your life or behaviour.
To read more about choosing a crystal check out: How To Choose A Crystal
– Adjusting to energy and getting to know the crystal.
Make sure you cleanse all-new crystals regardless if they are sold as cleansed. Cleansing new crystals is important, try not to skip this step. It is great if the seller cleanses their crystals but many people may have touched them, or as they went through the postal system or got other exposure to energies on your way home.
To learn how to cleanse them check out: How To Cleanse Your Crystals
Now that your new crystal is cleansed leave it out where you can see it, maybe on a desk or a sacred space to you. Spend some holding your crystal, notice the detail, colour, and shape. Notice how it feels in your hands and how you feel. How does the crystal make you feel? Take a mentl note of how you feel when you just get it, and track how you feel as the week or two goes by, notice any subtle changes in patterns or day to day routines?
To learn how to feel the subtle energy given off by a crystal check out: Subtle Energies
Try meditating with your new crystals - this is something you may want to start doing to connect with your crystals. Meditating with crystals helps you connect more deeply and you can receive more insight into energies. Crystals frequently help to amplify or enhance their advantages, through their distinctive vibrations. Just five minutes is all you need. Meditation is great for your mental well being and health. Meditation has been used by many civilizations, so has the use of crystals for health, recovery and mental advantages.
When should a stone be cleansed?
As soon as it’s purchased.
Before it’s programmed.
After each use.
When you feel it has become drained or dull.
How often should a stone be cleansed?
Regularly used stones, such as those worn or carried, should be purified daily.
However, I have worn mine and only cleansed them monthly or as needed.
Healing stones, massage wands, and pendulums should be purified after each use.
Altar stones and environmental healing stones should be cleaned monthly.
To check out a list of ways to cleanse your crystals and gemstones visit: How To Cleanse Your Crystals and Gemstones
Here's the claim:
- Crystals have energy properties that can work within our own energy systems.
Now for the reality:
- There is very little scientific evidence that crystals can heal the brain or the body, and just about any medical doctor will tell you that crystal healing is bullshit. The truth is if you believe crystals will make you feel better, that all-powerful placebo effect and the power of suggestion will help you feel just that.
Holding crystals or placing them on your body is said to promote physical, emotional and spiritual health. It is said they do this by positively interacting with one's body energy field or chakra. Researchers have carried out a few conventional studies on crystals throughout time.
Researches found that lots of people claimed that they could feel odd sensations while holding crystals, such as tingling, heat and vibrations. Whether they were holding the real crystals or the fakes, the effects reported were a result of the power of suggestion, and not only the power of the crystals. This research proves how powerful the placebo effect can be; and that the human mind is a powerful thing. Wether you can pick up on those energies or not, we can still tap into the power of the mind to heal.
In other words, a person may feel better after undergoing crystal healing treatment, but there is no scientific proof that this result has anything to do with the crystals being used during the treatment. So whether you truly can pick up on the subtle energies, or use the placebo effect concludes that the power of these minerals is “in the eye of the beholder.”
First off if you are new to the use of crystals, don’t expect energetic fireworks right away. It takes time to tap in and to be aware f the subtle energies. If you pick up a crystal and hear crickets, the first thing you need to remember is that you’re not alone and you shouldn’t give up. Some of the world’s most prominent crystal devotees experienced the same thing early on in their journeys. Also, you don’t need to go that far down the metaphysical rabbit hole to start reaping the benefits of crystals.
Crystals work to amplify the energy (vibration) you are putting out into the universe.
- Keep an open mind and notice what signs the universe is sending your way to guide you.
- Be open to receiving in a way that is different than you expected.
- Crystals will bring you what you need precisely when you need it.
- Cleanse your crystal often.
- Put out the energy you wish to receive.
- Be patient.
You may want to take notes of how things are different in your life since adopting a crystal into your personal space and document as the time goes by.
NOTE: There is, of course, no one "right" answer here. There is NO right way and NO wrong way. Do what feels real and correct to you. What I share is what I know to be true for me, Kerri.
There are two common methods and ways of categorizing crystals. One of the methods involves grouping them according to their structure while the other groups them according to their physical and chemical properties.
Grouping by Shape, under this categorization, there are seven types of crystals:
- Isometric or Cubic
- This type is not always a cube. Under this type, there are also octahedrons and dodecahedrons.
- This type of crystal is a six-sided prism. The cross-section of this type forms a hexagon.
- This crystal is almost similar to a cubic crystal but is lengthier on one axis than others leading to the formation of double pyramids and prisms.
- This crystal is not symmetrical from one side to another thus forming different kinds of shapes.
- This type leads to the formation of prisms and double pyramids and looks like twisted tetragonal crystals.
- This crystal is one whose cross-section is a prism or double pyramid with a rhombus for a base.
- This type has a three-fold rotation axis unlike the six-side rotation axis of the hexagonal crystal.
- Isometric or Cubic
Grouping by Properties, under this grouping, there are four types of crystals:
- Covalent - Consist of atoms covalently bonded to their adjacent atoms such as diamonds and sand. A covalent bond is a chemical bond that involves the sharing of pairs of electrons between atoms.
- Ionic - Consist of positive and negative ions arranged in a regular pattern, and they conduct electricity in a molten state and the form of a solution. An ionic crystal consists of ions bound together by electrostatic attraction.
- Metallic - Consists of metal cations surrounded by delocalized valence electrons. Metallic crystals contain atoms with the same charge surrounded by a sea of electrons.
- Molecular - Consist of covalently bonded molecules held together by intermolecular forces. Molecular solids are soft, often volatile, have low melting temperatures, and are electrical insulators. Quartz is said to have a macromolecular structure.
A common one used by jewelers is a "gemstone family tree" I often like to use :
- Aquamarine, Bixbite, Emerald, Goshenite, Holiodor, Morganite
- Banded Agate, Blue Lace Agate, Bull's Eye Agate, Fire Agate, Fortification Agate, Iris Agate/Rainbow Agate, Moss Agate/Mocha Agate, Stained/Dyed Agate
- Cymophane (chrysoberyl cat's eye)
- Padparadscha, Ruby, Sapphire
- Orthoclase Feldspar
- Adularia (colourless)
- Yellow Orthoclase
- Microline (Amazonite)
- Plagioclase Feldspar
- Labrodite, Oligoclase (Sunstone), Albite, Sanidine
- Orthoclase Feldspar
- Pyralspite Series
- almandite mixture
- spessartite mixture
- Mandarine Garnet
- Colour-change (almandite, pyrope, and spessartite mixture)
- Ugrandite Series
- Hessonite -Cinnamon stone
- Green Grossular
- Transvaal Jade
- Mali (grossular and andradite mixture)
- Pyralspite Series
- Glass / Tektites
- Lapis Lazuli
- Brown Quartz
- Smokey Quartz
- Morion - black
- Hawk's Eye
- Milky Quartz
- Rock Crystal
- Rose Quartz
- Rutilated Quartz
- Tourmalinated Quartz
- Tier's Eye
- Achroite (colourless)
- Indicolite -dark blue
- Parailba - neon blue
- Siberite - violet blue
- Watermelon Tourmaline
- Rubellite - pink
- Verdelite -green
- Yellow Toumaline
- Chromdravite - emerald green
- Dravite - brown to brownish black
- Schrol - black
- Tanzanite - green
- Thulite - pink
Need more guidance to identify your stone*:
- Post a photo in The Crystal Club Facebook Group.
- Contact Kerri directly in the contact page.
- Attend one of the Crystal Drop-In Q&A sessions.
*When taking the photo please try to use the best natural lighting possible.
Sentimental Gems: Kerri
Sentimental Gems is about recognizing the little things in life, recognizing the goods times and the bad times, and growing. Sentimental Gems is curated crystal collections based around the stories and daily uses of crystals through knowledge, history, and the metaphysical education that was lost over time for manifestation purposes. The created collections are to be used daily and to aid the receiver or wearer in the vibration of the collection or primarily to reflect on the sentiment behind the occasion.
The maker Kerri, educates people about the true value in the gift of affirmation for manifestation purposes and valuing sentimental moments; using the knowledge of crystals based on the history, science and the metaphysical properties.
Sentimental Gems incorporates science, history and the metaphysical into all the collections, and workshops. The world of crystals is very large and complex, Kerri takes the guess work out of figuring it all out, breaks it down into an easy way to understand without anyone feeling overwhelmed, while maintaining a conservative approach.
Kerri is a Crystal Whisperer that picks up on the vibrations of crystals , and who loves the science and history behind crystals. Albert Einstein noted that everything in life is vibration, and just like sound waves, your thoughts match the vibrations of everything that manifests in your life. Therefore, you can use the vibrations from crystals to maximize your manifestation goals and enhance affirmations.
Kerri's mission is to bring back the lost knowledge, history, and the metaphysical education about crystals; and showcase crystal sciences.
Other ways to follow are:
WANT WEEKLY CRYSTAL UPDATES? - Sign up below to receive our emails with the latest crystal knowledge. By signing up, you will be sent a step by step guide how to pick up on subtle energies.